RE: FrameMaker or InDesign CS

Matt,

Was my name used in vain again? (No, in San Jose perhaps?)

None of this is "official Adobe policy" to use your wording.
Adobe really doesn't have anything like that. The following
is strictly "Dov" ...

Quite frankly, I don't use Microsoft Word for anything unless I
absolutely must, such as updating something that someone else
produced but that I am not going to have any long term responsibility
for. It is too unreliable, at least for me. Gross printer-to-printer
and version-to-version formatting relayout, lousy typography, and
program crashes of that program obviate its use except for rare
situations. One of those rare situations is when I need to throw
together some text in Hebrew or a mixture of English and Hebrew.
The international character set support of Microsoft Office is to
me its only real strong suit!

Personally, I would obviously love a program that was effectively
InDesign with the features that FrameMaker has that InDesign is
missing. I would add to that full support for all international
character set input methods supported by Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
in combination with Office XP.

Back to reality for the time being.

If you need support for numbering, footnotes, variables, structure,
OLE linkages, etc., the current (2.0.2) and to-be-released version
(CS = 3) of InDesign just won't cut it!

Otherwise, at least for me, InDesign is where I do my major work.
The typographical features and quality is to die for! It natively
supports the full Adobe imaging model as well as Unicode and OpenType
fonts. It has the most robust native PDF export with live transparency,
layers (CS), color management, both RGB and CMYK-based colorspaces, etc.
It provides state-of-the-art vector graphics tools that are a major
subset of what is provided for by Adobe Illustrator. And with the
current and to-be-released version, individual documents of hundreds
of pages are not at all a problem. The only downside is that all this
functionality does have a very heavy processor and memory threshhold.
Anything less than a 800 mhz Pentium 3 with a half gigabyte of memory
is pretty much out of the question for serious use of InDesign. I
absolutely don't understand your "short document life" thing ...
... what's that about?

        - Dov