Slightly OT: first-time laptop/OSX switch

I'm near to acquiring my first laptop; it'll be a 15" Macintosh G4
PowerBook, either 867mHz or 1G. Typical use scenario will include occasional
primitive, 12v-powered only locations. I'll continue to work from the
office/cube's G4 desktop, dual-display system, only for less time.

For those seasoned FrameMaker etc. road warriors, no matter platform or
power scenario: what are the top tips you would offer to a portable newbie?

As far as I've gotten to date, besides a dismayingly long list of hardware,
accessory, and software upgrade buys, is:
- when operating off a 12v system use a decent inverter and keep the laptop
battery installed for smoothest, safest power
- consider a 256M USB flash drive for project backup in primitive locations
to conserve the power that hard disk and CD drives require

I'd greatly appreciate any operational or use tips you've found
indispensable. TIA. If enough replies come in I'll post a summary.

Bart Windrum
GUI Fit&Finish and Documentation
Diogenes Inc.
Denver Colorado USA