Re: External cross-refs in XML

  Hello Thomas,

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:51:44 +0200
"Thomas Michanek" <thomas.michanek@telia.com> wrote:

> > > Is it feasible to create *external* cross-refs while in FM,
> > > that are exported to XML elements and attributes, and then
> > > correctly re-translated to the same working cross-refs
> > > when the XML file is opened later? No book file is used in
> > > FM, and .fm is not the storage format.
> >
> > Not as far as I know :(
>
> Thanks... bad news :(
> Maybe I'm missing something here, but how come external links
> are so easy to do with HTML, but seems impossible in XML?

  They are possible. You provided a sample in your original letter:

<link file = "a.xml" heading = "Introduction">link text</link>

  The only problem is that you visualization client (FrameMaker) doesn't know how to handle it.

> Or is this solved with XPointer/XLink or whatever it's called?

  Yes, aim of XLink stardard is to provide uniform method of linking of resources.

> It's really such an obvious feature of any document set,
> regardless of format...

  In FrameMaker, cross-file linking works if files are in the same book.

  If you need general cross-file linking, you should use FDK to write custom API client.

  I suggest also to look at realization of link-elements in Docbook. Maybe you will find some tricks.

--
Oleg

> BTW, I cannot even get *internal* links (cross-refs) to round-trip
> between XML and FM. Sigh...

> Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
> Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
> mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
> http://go.to/framers/

Oleg Paraschenko olpa@ http://bitplant.de/ - IT Services company
SGML/XML/Content management/WWW/Databases/Win32/Plug-ins/Scripts