Win2k stability (was RE: Recommended OS for FM6)

Allen Schaaf wrote:

<snip>
> I run Frame 7 at work (contracting for IBM) on a W2K machine and
> Frame regularly crashes - 3-5 a week. Soft crash, but annoying.
>
> At home I run both Frame 6 and 7 on 98SE and never (almost) have
> a Frame crash or a system crash.
</snip>

Well, this is totally irrelevant to David Schor's query, since he's
asking about which OS to choose for a _new_ computer (Win98 isn't an
option). But I can't resist challenging Allen's diss of Win2k.

At work, I run Win2k. I don't shut down at night, just log out.
Typically, I go at least 30-60 days between reboots. When I do reboot,
it's usually to install or update something (I know -- I should be
checking for critical security patches more frequently, but...).

Heck, during big doc pushes (I just finished one), I typically have FM,
PSP, Acrobat, and Distiller all running continuously for a couple of
weeks or more, often with 20+ FM files open all the time. Meanwhile, I'm
opening and closing Visio, Word, Excel, Project, IE, Outlook, etc.,
etc., as needed. The last crash was FM on 3/9. I don't recall the
circumstances, but I didn't reboot, just restarted FM. No problems
since, and only a couple of reboots (to install critical updates).

If you're crashing either Win2k or a usually-stable app under Win2k on a
regular basis, something's _seriously_ _wrong_ with your system. Allen
mentions being a contractor, and contractors frequently get stuck with
whatever box is available, often one with a shady past. Was this PC
upgraded to Win2k (instead of getting a clean install)? Was it once used
as a dev test bed? Is it seriously misconfigured? Could there be
hardware problems, such as flaky memory or motherboard?

I don't know. But here's what I do know: the idea that Win98, properly
configured, is more reliable than Win2k or WinXP, properly configured,
is nonsense.

"It's my opinion and it's very true."

Richard

------