to increase writing quality — effective self-editing and scannable page
layout.

Place & Time:
   Tuesday, August 19, 2003
   6:30 ­ 8:30 pm
   Community Room at Brighton Town Hall
   2300 Elmwood Avenue
   Rochester NY

Fee: $10.00 at the door
RSVP: Kathy Wise at 585-453-3361 (w) or 585-352-1367 (h)

More About the Talk

Technical documentation is usually treated as random-access information.
Readers jump to pages they hope they don't have to read, scan to eliminate
as many pages as possible, then read the rest as quickly as possible.

Effective technical writing must therefore pass two tests:

  • The "scan" test — Can I see at a glance if this page needs to be read?
  • The "read" test — Do I have to rewrite these sentences in my mind to
understand them?

If either of these tests fails, the material won't be read. The key to the
scan test is page layout, organizing the page to make the relationship of
ideas apparent to the eye. The key to the read test is self-editing, making
sure each sentence is clear on the first pass. The discussion addresses
each of these areas, with samples and practical suggestions.

About the Presenter

Thomas Neuburger is a consultant, writer and photographer living in
Portland, Oregon. Among other works, he has published The Masters Series:
FrameMaker 6; Mastering FrameMaker 5; Learning the Internet, with Kenn
Halliwell and others; and Foundation: Building Sentence Skills, a college
English textbook.

Mr. Neuburger has also taught English & Communications and publishes
stories and poems.

Mr. Neuburger is available as a consultant to departments and work groups,
and as an on-call FrameMaker resource, a supplement to Adobe's on-call
Frame help service.