Re: Resolution in PDF screenshots (.bmps)

> A colleague of mine created a PDF using .bmps of screenshots that had
> really good resolution when printed out. (WinXP, print to
> PostScript/distill to PDF using Acrobat 5). When I did the same thing
> using Acrobat 4, the screenshots had very poor resolution.

The quality/resolution of graphics in a produced PDF file is
determined by the Distiller Job Options. In the Distiller's
main window, there's a setting for predetermined Job Options.
Try the PrintOptimized instead of the ScreenOptimized.

If you want full control of how Distiller treats graphics, you
can select Settings>Job Options and the Compression tab.
Make sure not to have any resampling or downsampling turned on
(or at least keep them at 300 dpi or more), and use 8-bit ZIP
compression (or CCITT for monochrome bitmaps). Do not use
"Automatic" compression!

If your PDF file size becomes too large, you can tweak these
settings until you find a good compromise between quality and
file size. There's also a few other settings you can check, like
font embedding and the overall Resolution on the General tab.

Keep printing to PS file and Distill manually to get full control.
And don't forget to use the "Acrobat Distiller" printer driver!

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/