Frame files present different Print>Duplex UI (some won't duplex)

Addendum to the below, first posted with the title "HP
Printing>Layout/Duplex UI differs from FM file to book file":

after posting the below I opened the main "guts" file in the book, expecting
to have the UI and be able to duplex the file. Surprise!, it presents the
non-duplex UI print>layout panel. All the generated lists plus inside front
and rear cover files are duplex-able. But the front cover, a single page
file, presents the same problematic limitation. This is very weird; is there
some Mac-user-accessible file attribute controlling this or is it an odd
bug?

> I thought my printing troubles were over after we obtained an HP LaserJet 8150
> from another office (replacing the damn Mita clone copier). Hah!
>
> Mac OS 9.1, Frame 7
> AdobePS driver 8.8.0 (301)
> PPD: HP LaserJet 8150 Series v1.0 (©2000) (recently downloaded from HP's site
> -- a casual perusal did not discern a more recent version)
> Printer setup includes duplex unit=installed and more than 72MB ram.
>
> From Acrobat 5, and for FrameMaker _layout_ files, the print dialog's Layout
> pane offers a two-sided option. When selected this option further offers a
> choice of binding sides via 2 large buttons depicting either portrait or
> landscape binding (actually, I presume the real setting is what in printing is
> called either head-to-head or head-to-toe verso/recto orientation). Printing
> under this scenario proceeds as one would expect: a) the job spools quickly
> and b) duplexing occurs page-by-page/sheet-by-sheet automatically.
>
> BUT: for Frame _book_ files the print dialog's Layout panel UI changes and so
> does the job execution:
> - something called a Transverse option appears just above the two-sided option
> (what does this mean/do?)
> - the options associated with two-sided no longer have do with binding, but
> rather with machine output (face up, face down, for each side (front/back))
> - rather than duplex the output page by page, the printer prints all the front
> sides (obviously I'm supposed to stand there and shove this wad all back in
> for the rear side)
> - despite background printing set, the job ties up the Mac, ala 1987.
>
> Someone _please_ tell me I'm not gonna have to PDF a work-in-progress to
> duplex print a book directly from Frame in one process...

Bart Windrum
GUI Fit&Finish and Documentation
Diogenes Inc.
Denver Colorado USA