Re: Visual artifact in displaying regular text

Peter G. wrote:

> The reason that changing MonitorSize (which can be
> done in File > Preferences > General, as well as in
> maker.ini) seems to affect the display size of type
> is that it affects the display size of everything.
> It's supposed to give 1" on the screen ruler at 100%
> zoom. It's only available on PC-Windows, not Mac or
> UNIX FM.
>
> BTW, there is an Xdefaults settings file on UNIX in
> which you can set certain FM features and behaviors,
> somewhat similar to maker.ini. I believe there's
> documentation for it in online manuals of FM UNIX
> installations.

Thanks, Peter.  Actually, I do set some customizations
in such a file even now.  Fortunately, though, I don't
experience this problem on solaris.

By the way, since changing MonitorSize changes
everything, I basically have to find the optimum zoom
levels again (I can't believe that we are restricted to
6 predefined zoom levels).  I find that it takes a lot
of time humming and hah'ing to get the best zoom
levels.  So I decided not to change MonitorSize.  I
found that if I turn off View->TextSymbols, I can avoid
alot of the spurious lines that get left behind as I
type.  I believe they are left behind by the
end-of-text-flow marker as it moves right (there are
other causes in different situations).  All I have to
do is get use to the truncated letters, which isn't too
bad since it only takes place on the 2nd and 4th text
lines.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics