Re: CMYK or RGB? Macintosh or Windows? How's a poor guy to upgrade?

Hedley,

Disclaimers: The following is not an official Adobe recommendation
or communication! I have and use both Macintosh and Windows-based
systems and own no securities in either Apple or Microsoft!

Ten years ago, the answer to your question would have been a total
no-brainer; the Macintosh would be the ONLY way to go. Five years
ago, perhaps I could give a nod to the Macintosh primarily on the basis
of generally but not always being "more stable" (i.e., not requiring
reboots "n" times per day) and being less of a pain-in-the-butt to
configure and maintain. Today, Apple's advertisements notwithstanding,
I would personally recommend Windows for a variety of reasons:

(1) MacOS X is "a work in progress" that will require a number of
additional dot and dot-dot releases before major issues including
font support, PDF support, printing in general, software installation,
and system administration are really nailed down. There is tremendous
potential in MacOS X, but even the experts and Mac aficionados are
still learning how to really work with it and integrate it into their
workflows.

(2) In the case of Windows, I would only recommend Windows 2000 (any
flavour) or Windows XP Professional (not the dumbed-down "home"
variety). Basically, Windows XP Professional is Windows 2000 Professional
with "an attitude" and an "improved" (that is quite subjective) user
interface. Both are exceptionally stable and fully support Type 1 fonts,
TrueType fonts, and OpenType fonts without any requirement for ATM unless
you need support for Multiple Master fonts in a few Adobe applications
(FrameMaker and PageMaker) or any non-Adobe applications.
Windows'9x, Me, and NT 4 are not worthy of your consideration.

(3) The PostScript drivers for Windows 2000 and XP (actually the exact
same driver as of Windows 2000 SP3 and Windows XP SP1) are by far the most
reliable and least problematic.

(4) I must most vehemently disagree with Rich Quatro's assertion that
"Mac is still a superior graphics platform, especially with InDesign/
Illustrator/Photoshop family." In fact, except for FrameMaker, all
Windows versions of Adobe applications have full feature parity with
the Macintosh versions and in some cases exceed the functionality of the
Macintosh versions (especially with regards to Acrobat). In terms of
performance, Adobe applications run every bit as well under Windows as
on the Mac and in some non-compute operations, especially when dealing
with font enumeration, file operations, and printing, performance under
Windows can dramatically outshine that on the Macintosh. (Try 1400 active
typefaces on a Macintosh!) Perhaps Quark XPress runs better on the Mac!

(5) The RGB-CMYK problem is strictly a FrameMaker issue. All other
Adobe applications generate their own PostScript (and PDF) and allow
you to use whatever colorspace you want or need. By the way, on the
Mac, most non-graphics-oriented applications such as Microsoft Office
applications are fully RGB, not CMYK. This issue is really a
red (not 100%Y+100%M) herring.

(6) Personally, I have had no problems going to press (monochrome or
four color) with publications authored and published using Adobe software
under Windows as long as I didn't tell the printing company where the
files came from. And even that is changing dramatically now!

        - Dov