RE: Save as PDF file size

OK, I tried this out myself on representative, complex documents
using both (1) print to the Acrobat Distiller printer instance
with "generate Acrobat data" turned off and (2) save as PDF with
absolutely none of the PDF tagging, threads, bookmarks, etc., named
destinations, etc. enabled. I also made sure that the default PDF
joboptions associated with the "Acrobat Distiller" printer instance
were exactly the same as those which I select from the "save as PDF"
dialog. In the worst case, the PDF file created by "save as PDF" was
approximately 1 kbyte larger than the PDF file created via the
"Acrobat Distiller" printer instance. In this case, the difference was
1 kbyte out of 313 kbytes, not particularly significant. I would
attribute the difference to housekeeping metadata.

With FrameMaker 7, I would absolutely NOT characterize printing to the
Acrobat Distiller printer instance as opposed to "save as PDF" as a
better practice at all, but rather an alternative practice for which
any resultant PDF file size difference (one way or the other) should
be negligible if both methods are parameterized comparably.

        - Dov