Running FrameMaker on Linux using a Windows emulator

All:

At home I use a PowerMac 7300/200 with Mac OS 9.1 and FrameMaker 5.5.6.
About the middle of next year I plan to switch to Windows for FrameMaker
because those great folks who brought you IXgen, Enhance, and other
utilities don't produce Mac versions (thanks for nothing, guys  8^) ).

At <http://www.mandrake.com/>, the site for the Mandrake distribution of
Linux is a product called NeTraverse Win4Lin 4.0 which purportedly allows
Windows apps to run on Linux.  The product notes claim that you can run
Microsoft® Office XP, Microsoft Visual FoxPro® 7, Microsoft® Internet
Explorer 6.0, Macromedia® Dreamweaver® 4.0, Macromedia Fireworks® 4.0,
Netscape® 6.2, Lotus® SmartSuite®, Norton® Anti-Virus® 2002, Adobe®
Illustrator® 9, Adobe Acrobat® Reader 5.0, Adobe PhotoShop® 6.0, Adobe
Frame Maker® 6.0, and many more!  8^"

Has anybody used FrameMaker in these circumstances?  Can anybody recommend
the combo of Mandrake Linux, Win4Lin, and FrameMaker (see queries to
NeTraverse below)?

>          To: sales@netraverse.com
>          cc: hfinger@handholding.com.au, hedley_finger@myob.com.au
>          Subject: Win4Lin requirements
>
> NeTraverse:
>
> I am thinking of switching from Mac OS to Windows because software that I
want to run is only available on Windows.  However, if I could run my
windows software on Linux using Win4 Lin, that would be even better.

> I have been to your web site and looked at the information about Win4Lin
but still have a few questions.

> 1 Is this another version of WINE or a complete different API to support
Windows on Linux?

> 2 Do you already have to own Windows, i.e. is Win4Lin in fact a BIOS
emulator running as a process on Linux which Windows runs on top of?

> 3 If you do have to own and install Windows, what happens if you cannot
obtain Windows 95/98/Me CDs?  Can you install Windows 2000/XP?

> 4 Or is Win4Lin a Windows API that interfaces between the apps and Linux?
If so, why would you need Windows?

> 5 Are the Linux and Windows file systems segregated?  Is there any way of
Linux apps to access files on the Windows file system and Windows apps to
access files on the Linux file system -- this would be very important.

> You perhaps can guess that I am rather nervous about this, as I do not
want to spend more money than I can help on a change that may not work.

> By the way, the apps that I want to run are FrameMaker 7.0 and various
plugins for FrameMaker: FrameScript 2.1r3, IXgen 5.5.h, Enhance 2.03,
mif2go 31u33, and WebWorks Publisher 7.04.  I would also like to run
Acrobat 5.0 (full product), HTML Help Workshop 4.74 build 8702.0, and HTML
Help 1.31.

> Regards,
> Hedley, a nervous Linux convert

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 2.1r3, Enhance 2.03, Acrobat
4.05.2, mif2go 31u33, WebWorks Publisher 7.02, IXgen 5.5.h, HTML Help
Workshop 4.74 build 8702.0, HTML Help 1.31]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker 5.5.x
Technical Communications/Best Practice Mentor
MYOB Australia Pty Ltd  <http://www.myob.com.au>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
12 Wesley Court   Tally Ho Business Park   East Burwood 3151   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9222 9992 x 7421  Fax. +61 3 9222 9880  Mob. +61 412 461 558
<mailto:hedley_finger AT myob.com.au>

(C) MYOB Technology Pty Ltd