building xml based database publishing ?

I have a number of manuals done in Framemaker. They are maintained and
updated regularly in several languages. I'd like to turn the whole thing
into xml based database publishing - but where to start ? Can anyone help me
out with some advice.
At present there is no database  - I only have the manuals which are very
stringently made in terms of formatting.
Regards
Bjørn Smalbro