Re: Forcing Footnotes to be on the same page they are refered to

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

> I am using Frame 6.0.  At times the footnotes do not appear on the same
> page as the sentence referring to the footnote.

This is the result of an old bug or a badly implemented feature.
Correcting it is probably the single most requested feature enhancement,
dating back to the early 90's... Despite numerous attempts by users
to explain this problem/bug in FM to Frame Technology and later Adobe,
they have never acknowledged it. On the contrary, people from FM
development has said it's the intended behavior. Really.

They have also claimed that it's such a difficult problem to
solve, but other software has managed to do it correctly.
I think both TeX and Microsoft Word manages it.

Rant: This whole situation shows that people in either marketing or
development of FM don't understand the markets in which FM could be
a very strong contender. They seem to have never seen any scientific
or legal paper with lots of properly set footnotes.

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Writer, IAR Systems, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/
* *   NEW  WEB  ADDRESS  SINCE  JUNE  1   * *