Re: Platform-independent keystrokes to place insertion point in document

Ezra,

Most of the command controls for the Solaris versions of FrameMaker
(FM+SGML too) are "self documented" in the set of files found in the
directory

  $FMHOME/fminit/usenglish/configui

  where FMHOME is the installation directory on your system.  This
assumes
  you're using the US English interface version of Frame.

Specificially,  use a text editor (vi, ed, etc.) to open the file,
and about 1980 lines into it are the sets of commands for moving the
insertion point around via the keyboard. (You could search for the
string "*** Insertion Point ***" to get to the start of the
applicable section.)

Many of these use hex notation (for FM's internal FCodes) but many
also have "KeySequence" definitions.  In a KeySequence, \! stands
for the Escape key, + stands for the shift key (but \+ is the plus
symbol,), ^ stands for the control key (\^ is a circumflex) and ~
stands for the "MOD1" key (\~ is a tilde character).

Note: on standard Sun keyboards, MOD1 is the meta key (diamond
symbol), but this can be remapped, or have an additional alternamte
mapping.

For more details, see the online help about Customizing FrameMaker,
and in particular, also read the ascii text file
$FMHOME/fminit/usenglish/configui/README.Command

Michael Richards wrote:

> !bn usually does the job. You can also use it to toggle between columns
> and text flows on a page.
>
> Ezra Steinberg wrote:
>
>> Framers:
>>
>> I am using FM 6 on Solaris 2.7 and normally use the keyboard as much as
>> possible.
>>
>> The one function that still foils me is how to use the keyboard to place
>> the insertion point somewhere in the document after I have opened it.
>> (When I first open it there is no insertion point. I never did
>> understand why FrameMaker doesn't simply put the insertion point at the
>> beginning of the main flow by default.)
>>
>> Anyone know of the keystrokes to accomplish this?
>>
>> Ezra
>> --
>> Ezra Steinberg                          Resonate, Inc.
>> Senior Technical Writer                 385 Moffett Park Drive, Suite 205
>> mailto:ezra@resonate.com                Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1208      USA
>> Voice: 408.548.5529                     FAX: 408.548.5679
>
> --
>         Michael Richards
>         Email:  michaelr@ind.tansu.com.au
>         Tel: +61 2 9206 3524
>         Locked Bag 6581 Sydney 1100
>         Fax: +61 2 9281 1301
>         New Wave-D,
>         Telstra Corporation, Australia

Footnote:  when I open files in FM, it does place the insertion
point at the start of the first tagged flow it finds on the first
page.  I don't understand why you are not seeing the same behavior.

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley               |  email: LSmalley@Infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.   |  phone: (302) 239-2942
 Hockessin, DE  USA 19707-0310   |  fax:   (302) 239-1712