SUMMARY: FM6: initial problems

This is a (long) summary of the feedback I got when asking
about some initial problems using FM 6 a few weeks ago.
[Please consider posting this summary to the FrameUsers list]

> When I double-click a filename in the book file, the file
> always open minimized. In FM 5.5, I had to double-click the
> file twice to open it. When I try this in FM 6, the second
> double-click starts renaming the file...
> Can someone please offer a solution, other than having
> to home in and double-click the little file icon?

Many others have reported similar problems, and it's either a
bug or a poorly designed "feature". The behavior is sometimes
inconsistent and difficult to repeat.

If a file is already selected in the book window, a double-click
starts the new rename feature. Instead, you have to double-click
the small file icon to the left. This is a design flaw that
should be corrected. I mean, how often do you want to rename
a file compared to opening it???

Apparently, if a file is saved when the window was minimized,
the file opens up minimized. What's the user benefit of this?
It requires you to double-click again to actually see the file,
which won't work if you double-click the file name (see above).
Also, using Open All Files in Book or Save All Files in Book
seems to sometimes reset the state of all files to minimized.
I haven't been able to figure out a consistent behavior.
Others have reported that files are opened, but the window is
hidden behind other windows, forcing you to double-click twice.

> When paging through the book, I never get a dialog asking
> me whether to open the next/previous file; FM always open
> the other file instantly. I can see no setting controlling
> whether to get a dialog. How do I stop this?

You only get the dialog if the other file isn't already open.
If it's already open, the file switch takes place immediately
without any dialog. However, as others have reported, having
the Paragraph or Table Designer open may change the behavior!
Sometimes the file switch stops working, sometimes in only
one of the two directions. This is definitely a bug.
I would prefer a setting to control the desired behavior.

> I have tried to use the new Document Info tab in the PDF
> Setup dialog. I fill in the author and title, click Set,
> and check that each file in the book has the same setting.
> Despite this, when I generate the PDF, the document info
> isn't there...

The trouble was that I really didn't have all the files
selected. You can also select the top book entry in the
book window, and then use the PDF Setup dialog.

> How does the file optimization for PDF work? I'm having a
> hard time understanding if I need to do this for my files
> coming from 5.5, depending on the setting of the option
> Create Named Destinations...

This problem has been replied to to the list. However, when
I made an extensive test, the behavior didn't match the
descriptions, so I have decided to not "optimize" my FM 5.5
files in FM 6. Also, the user interface is a bit confusing,
and the FM 6 manual doesn't give a full explanation.