Re: SGML worries

I assume you're on Windows, otherwise disregard all registry discussions.

Your problems come from two things.  First, when you installed
FrameMaker+SGML, that changed your registry so that it would associate
.fm files with Maker+SGML.  Apparently, when you un-installed, the
process failed to change the registry back.  I'm not surprised.  I
believe when you get the "Dumb Windows Can't Find Your App" dialog, you
can browse/choose Maker, and then everything will work again.

Or you can reinstall Maker.

BUT WAIT!

Your other problem re plugins...  Maker+SGML is installed as a separate
product.  That means it has a separate directory tree, including a
separate plugins directory.  When you installed the demo version, I'm
willing to bet you didn't slide copies of your plugins into that
installation.  ALSO, if you choose to reinstall regular Maker (to get
your registry back), then you will need to be careful about your
plugins.  Save them off so you don't delete them in the reinstall process.

The polite diagonal banner - well, I have nothing to suggest about that.

Actually, I use Maker+SGML all the time.  I get all of Maker, plus the
SGML stuff.  On today's machines the hit to performance is negligeble.
The only problem is that for 5.5.6 there are two help systems - one for
Maker and one for Maker+SGML...  That's a bother.  FOr 6.0 I believe
that problem goes away.  Otherwise, it's totally transparent.  I ship
docs to non-SGML users all the time - no problem.

Hope this helps                      cud