Re: FrameMaker freezes when printing PostScript with Generate Acrobat Data[SOLVED]

Frameux et Frameuses:

Recall my inability to print to PostScript without freezing FrameMaker ...

   > I wasted about three hours on Friday trying to produce a fully
   hyperlinked
   > PDF file from a FrameMaker book, that is, with Generate Acrobat Data
   turned
   > on in the Print dialogue.  The symptoms were that the book printed to
   > PostScript successfully until it encountered a particular page in a
   > particular file.  This file could not be printed to PostScript by
   itself
   > either.

Thanks to Dov and Wil Kelehy at Adobe, the problem was caused by a
Hypertext marker containing a newlink command.  It had somehow become
corrupted and saving to MIF, etc. did not fix it.  (Wish I had thought to
examine the MIF to see what had happened to it.)  Get this ...

@    Cut the marker; file prints to PostScript.
@    Paste the marker back in; FrameMaker freezes on encountering marker.
@    Paste the marker into another file; FrameMaker now freezes with THAT
file!

*** FrameMaker freezes on printing PostScript with Generate Acrobat Data
*** Fix No. 4500

So, to fix the file, I did this:

1    Delete the offending Hypertext marker.

2    Save the file and then reopen it.

3    Save the file to MIF, then reopen and save as binary (*.fm),
     to get rid of any residual bug factors.

4    Insert a NEW Hypertext marker but clear the
     Validate Marker On Insertion check box.

5    Save as MIF, then reopen and save as binary.

5    Print to PostScript with Generate Acrobat Data.

     No problemo!

Clearly, some of these steps may not be necessary, for example,
steps 2 and 5, but I am operating on superstition here.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <http://www.myob.com.au/>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>
Tel. +61 3 9894 0945
Mob. +61 412 461 558