Problems with Distiller printer

Re: Size of intermediate PS files used for distilling to PDF.

We're using FM 5.5.6 in a mixed Windows NT/2000 environment.
Our workflow for producing PDF files is to print to intermediate
PS files, and then manually running the Acrobat Distiller 4.05
with different job options (for online and printing purposes).

Up to now, our workflow has not specified using the Acrobat
Distiller printer when producing the intermediate PS files.
Instead, we have specified our default office printer.
I know this isn't the recommended way, but it has worked
without problems (on Windows NT). However, using Windows 2000,
we are facing problems with color and graphics, that disappear
if we indeed use the Acrobat Distiller printer. I'm therefore
trying to change our workflow accordingly, but I'm facing two
minor problems:

1. The intermediate PS files are much larger when using the
   Acrobat Distiller printer compared to the office printer.
   Files grow from 3-5 MB to 10-25 MB... This isn't an urgent
   problem, but we're wondering why the files get so big.
   Following the advice of Dov Isaacs, I have checked and
   changed all settings of the Distiller printer, e.g. binary
   instead of ASCII mode, but there is no evident misconfiguration.

2. Changing the printer from within FM, depending on whether you
   want to print your document or distill it, is an extra step
   considered a bit of a nuisance by people used to the "old" way.

Both these issues contribute to a reluctance to change an existing
workflow, which has proven to work well before Windows 2000.

Any advice or comments from people facing the same issues as
above will be appreciated!

Thomas Michanek, Technical Writer
IAR Systems AB, Sweden: http://www.iar.com
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@iar.se