Hypertext marker infinite-loop gotcha

Framesters:

I added three generated files to a book which were lists of markers.  I
also enabled the "Create Hypertext links" option in the Set Up List Of
Markers dialogue.

Then I updated the book and saw a series of messages ...

     Scanning <other files>
     Scanning my_littleLOM.fm
     Scanning my_littleLOM2.fm
     Scanning my_LittleLOM3.fm
     Generating my_littleLOM.fm
     Scanning <other files>
     Scanning my_littleLOM.fm  // Hang on, this is where we came in

See, what happens is that FM scans all the files in the book looking for
hypertext markers, inserts them into the first LOM file with hypertext
marker links to their locations, and then scans all the files looking for
hypertext markers and finds some new ones in my_littleLOM.fm, adds them to
LOM2, scans all the files, adds the new ones in LOM and LOM2 to LOM3, scans
all the files in the book, adds the new ones in LOM, LOM2, and LOM3 to LOM,
scans all the files ...

The my_littleLOM3.fm file blew out to 506 pages before FrameMaker crashed.

Short solution: update each generated file individually.

Long solution: FrameMaker 9 will not be so dumb as to add hypertext markers
it has just generated [  8^)  just joking, Dov and Lee].

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31u33, IXgen 5.5.h]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <http://www.myob.com.au/>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>
Tel. +61 3 9894 0945
Mob. +61 412 461 558