Q: Cross-references between PDF documents

Greetings all...

My colleague and I are having some problems with Framemaker 5.5 and
Distiller 4.0. We hope you might have some suggestions.

We're generating multiple publications in Framemaker, each with its own book
file and multiple chapter files. Inserting cross-references between
publications works okay, until we generate the PDFs. Those x-refs in the PDF
publications are pointing at the original framemaker files. The end result
we're after is one PDF with hyperlinks pointing to another PDF.

Is there a Framemaker or Distiller setting we're missing? We've been thru
all the documentation, but no joy. Our only solution at this time is to edit
each PDF document and manually alter the hyperlink settings one by one,
altering the destination to a PDF-an awful approach 'cause the changes need
to be re-applied each time the PDFs are regenerated :^(

We'd appreciate any assistance u can offer.

...cheers!
Geoff Bradbury
Technical Writer
RSA Security Australia Pty Ltd