Optimize files in FM6

I'm getting more and more confused about the new FM 6
option of "optimizing" FM files coming from version 5.5.

Is it correct that the function Format > Document >
Optimize PDF Size > Optimize File will change existing FM
documents so that they can take advantage of the new option
"Create Named Destinations for all paragraphs" (in
Format > Document > PDF Setup > Links) ?
So files coming from 5.5 *must* be "optimized" for this
option to be used, regardless if it will be on or off?

If you select to "optimize" an FM 5.5 book file without first
opening it (and converting it) in FM 6, the "optimization"
seems to take place in the background, opening/changing/saving
the files on disk and apparently converting them to FM6 format.
But what happens if you first open the FM 5.5. book file and
all its files in FM 6, and then "optimize" by selecting the
same book file? My impression is that the optimization takes
place on the files on disk, rather than the opened files!
If I then save the files from FM 6, do I overwrite the
optimized files? There's no way to tell, and the interface
and its documentation is... er... in need of improvements...

I want to get this right before I convert all files to FM6.