Re: Optimize files in FM6

Hi Thomas,

Here goes--

>Is it correct that the function Format > Document >
>Optimize PDF Size > Optimize File will change existing FM
>documents so that they can take advantage of the new option
>"Create Named Destinations for all paragraphs" (in
>Format > Document > PDF Setup > Links) ?

As I understand it, not quite. What's new is a way of marking paragraphs in
Frame for PDF named destinations that reduces the PDF file size.

This implies that both aspects of this feature (whether some paragraphs are
marked or all of them) is affected. Maybe an Adobe person could confirm or
correct this.

>So files coming from 5.5 *must* be "optimized" for this
>option to be used, regardless if it will be on or off?

As stated above, On or Off isn't the issue (I think). And as for "must," I
believe it's a size, not a capability, issue. You still have the feature,
but PDF file sizes are larger.

>But what happens if you first open the FM 5.5. book file and
>all its files in FM 6, and then "optimize" by selecting the
>same book file? My impression is that the optimization takes
>place on the files on disk, rather than the opened files!

Performing a simple test -- opening a Frame 5 file, saving as PDF, then
optimizing, then resaving as PDF and comparing the PDF file sizes -- you
get a smaller PDF with the second. Note that the Frame file wasn't closed
then reopened, so my guess is the version in memory matched the version on
disk.

>If I then save the files from FM 6, do I overwrite the
>optimized files?

Examine the Optimization Options dialog box. You can choose to overwrite or
save elsewhere.

Good luck,

Tom Neuburger

The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6