Re: Weird errors

At 02:30 PM 4/26/01 -0400, Mitchell, Sue wrote:
>I developed a tool (dll)...  In general the tool works well but
>I get some errors that I don't really understand:
>
>1. I am using F_ApiFind and when I try to deallocated the findParams it
>causes my program to crash....
>
>2. Some times when the program tries to set the properties to a given text
>range F_ApiSetTextProps(docId, &trFound, &props) (retrieved by using
>F_ApiFind) I get an error FE_OffsetNotFound: Offset specified for the text
>location couldn't be found in the specified paragraph or text line.
>
>3. This same dll when run on a colleague's computer crashes FrameMaker
>sometimes (it gets hung up and must be shut down using task manager) If I
>try to run it on the same files it works just fine on my computer!  Again
>rather confused.

Sue,
  You've received several other suggestions on this one. Let me just add
that symptoms such as you describe (including different results on different
computers) are typical of C programs with pointer problems. The actual error
might be in a different part of the code than that which fails. Typical
causes are freeing memory that is not allocated, writing over parts of one
data structure with another, and confusion between the content of a memory
location and a pointer to that location.
  Let us know when you find the cause.
	--Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.