RE: Incredibly Slow to do ANYTHING in Frame+SGML6 with a large doc

Besides the fact that graphics is not the problem in this particular case (as
viewing graphics is turned off), the compression ratio of the graphics chosen
would not help if FM is working slowly. FM has to work with the uncompressed
graphics to view them. Using a good compression graphics format only affects the
file size. The working size is still the uncompressed size of all the images in
the document. With the viewing of graphics performance is limited by the speed
of the uncompression algorithm (+download time from remote drives) for the first
time the image is scrolled to and then by available memory and swap time for
each subsequent scroll past.
With that said the statement by Mike is also a bit off. It's not FM that has a
problem with network drives. It's that slow networks are a problem. With a fast
network with sufficient bandwidth working on the network is no slower than
working on local drives. But once again this has nothing to do with the original
problem as the viewing of the graphics is turned off.

Eric L. Dunn

Please respond to "Jim Meyer" <jmeyer@doradosoftware.com>

Expanded TIFFs may be huge, but they compress nicely. The 1.872 Mb snapshot
I just took (24-bit RGB) compressed to 55 Kb. And since LZW is a lossless
compression method, I can't think of any reason not to use it. You'll eat up
a few extra CPU cycles uncompressing them, but I believe that's done at
display time. The difference will be quite noticeable.

Tulloch, Michael