RE: PDF problem: Acrobat display

> From: Dov Isaacs [mailto:isaacs@Adobe.COM]
> You will not get any argument from me that documentation
> of the color options for Acrobat are at best somewhat sparse.
> The same is true vis-a-vis Reader versus the full Acrobat
> product in terms of color management.

Dov, maybe you already have done this, but can I ask you to
point this out to the people writing the Acrobat documentation?
If I interpret you correctly, there are some potentially
serious disinformation present in the description of the
Distiller job options!

> Furthermore, I assume that you are
> claiming that PostScript coming out of the Distiller printer
> instance is up to six times the size of that coming out of
> the printer instance for your PostScript "office" printer.
> This could indeed be true if your driver is grossly
> misconfigured. For example, the default setting for the
> Acrobat Distiller printer instance is ASCII.

Your assumption is correct. I'm on a Windows 2000 SP1 system,
and the Distiller printer was created during the Acrobat 4.05
installation using the PostScript Printer Driver 5.00.2134.1
and ADIST4.PPD version 1.0.
If indeed the default installation of the Acrobat Distiller
printer instance results in a "grossly misconfigured" driver,
perhaps Adobe should change the way it is installed, or give
clear hints on how to properly configure it after installation?

I have changed the Output Protocol to Binary and checked all
other settings that could influence the size of the PS file:
* Send CTRL-D before each job: No
* Maximum font size to download as bitmap: 600 pixels
* Color Management: Automatic
* Graphic Print quality: 600 dpi
* ICM method: ICM disabled
* TrueType font: Substitute with device font
* PostScript output option: Optimize for speed
* TrueType font download option: Automatic
* PostScript language level: 3
* Send PostScript error handler: Yes

The PS file is indeed reduced from 18 to 10 MB. This is
still larger than the PS file created for the office printer,
but this isn't terribly important.

> (1) Unless you have workflows that really need it and you
> have all the tools, planets, and stars lined up right, disable
> any color management options with FrameMaker and PDF.

Perhaps this should be pointed out also in the FM documentation?

> (2) Always use the Acrobat Distiller printer instance (Windows)
> or Create Adobe PDF printer (Macintosh) to generate PostScript
> for distillation.

I know this. Really. I just wish the FM documentation would give
the best advice in creating PDF files, instead of recommending
the Save As feature... ;-)

Again, thank you Dov for taking the time!