PDF problem: Acrobat display

We have 3 different systems:
A) Windows 2000 SP1, FM+SGML 5.5.6, updated PSCRIPT driver
B) Windows NT 4 SP5, FM+SGML 5.5.6, AdobePS 5.1.2 driver
C) Windows NT 4 SP5, FM+SGML 5.5.0, AdobePS 5.1.1 driver
All systems have the same version of Acrobat 4.05a.

We print an FM document to PS file, with Acrobat Data turned on.

We now have the following mysterious PDF display problem:
We create the PDF file on system A or B using the Acrobat Distiller
printer, and view it with Acrobat 4.05a (not Reader) on system
B or C, set to display only 256 colors. A large white invisible
text turns into highly visible magenta on-screen, but not on print!

If we set system B or C to display more than 256 colors, the
problem goes away (white text becomes invisible).
If we view the PDF file using the Acrobat *Reader* 4.05, the
problem goes away (!), even with 256-color display.
If we create the PDF file using a physical color printer, the
problem goes away.
If we view the PDF file on system A, the problem cannot be
reproduced, even with 256-color display.
The problem and its workarounds are reproducable and consistent.

Why on earth would Acrobat 4.05a, but not the Reader, display
this problem?!? Unfortunately, it's difficult to motivate the
use of the Acrobat Distiller printer when problems like this
show up...