Calling all FM+SGML developers

Hello - I've not used this list before so I hope that this is an
appropriate posting:

I've been working on a particular problem for about a day and cannot find
away around it - any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to write an EDD for a structured document that will allow me to
create numbered lists that start at a value  to be determined by the user.

I though that I'd create an attribute on a list element to specify the
start number and the list items would have their autonumber format rule set
to whatever the user specified.

The basic list structure (using XML to illustrate) is:

<list startNum=5>
	<item>Item one</item>
	<item>Item two</item>
	<item>Item three</item>
	<item>Item four</item>
</list>

this should appear in the document as

	5) Item one
	6) Item two
	7) Item three
	8) Item four

I've written EDD's for numbered lists before so know about changing the
numbering formats for the first, and successive lines in a list but I
cannot figure out how to get the attribute value from the list to
initialize the numbering property of the first list item...

A rule to describe the first line might look something like this:

If context is: list[startNum="1"]
	Numbering properties
		Autonumber format: L:<n=1>)\t

but this only deals with the lineNum being 1. How can I get the autonumber
format value to reflect that specified in the startNum attribute ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

	Regards - Steve.