Re: Font headache

Our custom font builders here at Medtronic also complained about some naming issues they encountered, more of a Fontographer problem than anything else. I think Fontographer on the Mac was truncating the names to the first five letters.

Although it was a nasty headache for me as a Frame template designer (ah, the days when I'd wake up singing "The March of the Frame Templar"), it might help you in your situation. Apologies if it doesn't.

At any rate, try naming these troublesome fonts with a distinctly different name, like giving them a prefix that makes sense for you. Our font builders decided this prefix would indicate the revision of the font, and thus we have AA_MedLogo and AA_TechFont. Luckily, none of these have gone to revision "AB" yet. When they do, we'll have to go into each of our 10 templates and change each formatting place (about 10 considering character and paragraph formats) for each of our 4-6 files per template. Sigh, but at least the Fontographer issue is fixed!

By the way, I think it's pretty standard (and not Frame related) for PostScript fonts to have four actual fonts indicating weight, variation, etc. When one refers to Helvetica or Courier, one is actually citing the family name. Like all happy mammals, fonts get four members to every family: Regular, Bold, Italic, the hybrid offspring of Bold and Italic. That's the way one often buys, installs, and uses fonts---ain't it?

Happy spring all,
Jason