[off topic] SVG almost works for global graphics

I'm not trying to rant and am only providing this information as a public service to some of my favorite Frame buddies, to save you the time if you're faced with this question. The truth is somewhat buried (w3.org site, Adobe product features list, online help, tutorials, etc. are all in error).

Dov, if you have noticed this and can let me know what's happening, well, I'll write ya' another nice fan letter sometime. Considering the huge raise the last one got you...just kidding. You may just wanna forward this where appropriate because lots of public documentation is inaccurate.

For those working in multilingual or global documents, SVG promises to help out a weak spot long plaguing us FrameHedz: translating our graphics. Callouts scream for the ability to manually swap out one language for another without touching anything important in the graphic file or contracting an artist to open the files and work with words/characters they are unfamiliar with. Automating such a process or using translation memory tools like Trados sounds wonderful, but most graphic formats aren't exactly editable in any ol' ASCII text editor---unless you sign your name AAeX3gQrV on your checks.

(oh yeah, don't tell me to use callout legends as those are deemed too much of a hit on usability)

Everywhere you look at the supported features in Adobe Illustrator 9.0.2, both SVG import and export is reported as possible. However, this simply isn't the case. Adobe is aware of the issue, as noted at the URL below.

http://www.adobe.com:80/support/techdocs/258ce.htm

The skinny: export works great, with many neato functions. import doesn't work, unless you WANT your graphic to look like SGML-ified text.

I thought you Framers would be happy to see that the FrameMaker application we all know and love isn't the only thing to break or suffer from documentation errors.

Is anyone doing much with SVG? Anyone heard when we can expect to see full SVG import supported? (other apps support it, but then they don't output to EPS---gotta go print to PS, distill to PDF, open in Illustrator route I think)

Yer old Frame Templar,
Jason