Font headache

Title: Font headache
Unlike most DTP programs, FM uses 4 categories to describe a font : Family/Var/Weight/Angle.
Practically, it means an incredible mess in naming and using fonts that look identically structured in other programs.
Some homogenous font families are split into variants: the 4 components of a family (i.e. Plain, Bold, Italic, BoldItalic) are considered as different fonts. Others do not recognize particular Weight/Angle combinations. Others are merged across their separate suitcases as classified by ATM...  And, best of all, fonts with non-English descriptions (i.e. Gras instead of Bold for French fonts), are all flattened to Plain. A MSWord file written with such an unfortunate font becomes plain text when imported into FrameMaker.

I know this is a general issue, and it may be platform-related. Anyway, I'd be glad if someone could recommend a reliable method, charter, book or homepage to help me understand how fonts should be organized and named to work coherently with FrameMaker.

(MacOS 9, FM 6.0, ATM DeLuxe, ATR off - uncompatible. Some fonts custom-generated by Fontographer).

Slobodan Despot
--

E D I T I O N S  L'A G E  D'H O M M E
Rue de Geneve 10   CH-1000 Lausanne 9