Re: Graphics repository (was RE: Graphics in footers)

KMcLauchlan wrote:

>>I do keep my illustrations in a sub-folder.
>>Many sub-folders. One for each and every version
>>of each and every document...

>>However, I've been considering revising that, to
>>perhaps keep common stuff in a "supra" folder.

One main folder or illustration repository will work well. But for it to be
portable it has to be on the same drive as the documents and the path from the
documents to the illustrations must never pass through the root.

What you have to be careful about is illustrations that are used in many places.
Changing the illustration in the repository would then change all uses of the
illustration. This can have negative implications because you must keep tight
control on lists of what documents use the illustration and whether they are all
up to the same revision level as the illustration. If the document is not
revised to the same level you have to create a new version of the illustration
and reimport it into the non-revised documents or hold off publication/ban
printing until the documents are revised.

Eric L. Dunn