No text in PDF file

I am having a strange problem generating PDF from FrameMaker 6.0.
Here is my system:
- Windows NT
- FrameMaker 6.0
- Acrobat 4.05
- Adobe PS driver 5.1.2 (installed using the Universal Installer from the
adobe web site)
- AdobePS Acrobat Distiller PPD (adist4.ppd, installed with Acrobat)

With this combination, I print to a postscript file, then distill with
Acrobat Distiller. I get no errors during this process. However, the
resulting PDF file has all of the pages from the document, but no text.
None. Completely blank. The pages also come out about 1 inch tall, instead
of the normal 8.5 x 11.

Now, I *can* successfully generate PDF if I change to a driver instance that
uses a different PPD. In this case, I'm still using the Adobe PS driver
5.1.2, but the PPD for a Xerox Document Centre CS 50 (AD40CS50.PPD).

I need to get the acrobat distiller to work, because I have a document with
a very large custom page size to distill, and I cannot do that with the
Xerox driver - it doesn't include an option for changing page size.

To make the entire thing even more weird, the first combination above (with
the acrobat distiller) DOES work, if I distill a document using the second
combination first. In other words, the following sequence of events works:
1. Start Frame.
2. Print to file and distill a doc using the Xerox driver combination.
3. Without quitting Frame, switch to the Acrobat driver combo and distill.

This workaround is OK, but a bit of a pain. I'd like to fix it if I can.

Does anyone have any insight? Has anyone ever run into this before? Am I
just crazy?

Thanks!

Sara Schertz
Senior Technical Writer