Windows %&$#@*+$ colour management (I'll never learn)

Framesters:

A colleague some thousands of kilmetres away produces EPSF graphics on a
Macintosh and emails them to me.

(For is it not written in the scriptures that the Lord Dov commands us to
always use EPS graphics so the CMYK colour information will get through the
Windows GDI unchanged and not be converted to RGB?)

Lotus Notes and Windows thoughtfully throw away the resource fork when I
detach the files from the email messages (Macintosh "files" are actually
two files: the resource fork and the data fork).

FrameMaker displays these resourceless EPS files as grey boxes because the
preview bitmap was in the resource fork.

Aha, methinks!  I will Distill the resourceless EPS files into PDF, then
export them from Acrobat as EPSI files with a pixmap preview header.

Blithe in my ignorance I use these now visible graphics in FrameMaker files
(mostly flat geometrical shapes).  Then, lo, one day I discover that the
colours are incorrect when someone shows me the CMYK colour samples in the
Corporate Image Manual.

So either Distiller or Acrobat uses the bloody GDI to create EPS!  (Note: I
used the AdobePS universal installer to create a number of different
Acrobat Distiller "printer" instances, and set the Acrobat printer to one
of these.)

Quickly opening the original resourceless EPS files in Ghostview I discover
the true colours.  Fortunately, Ghostview can create pixmap previews that
preserve the CMYK colour information.

So, a few questions (since the Billgatron has had plenty of time to
implement proper colour management of HSV, LAB, CMYK, etc. colour spaces
but chooses not to):

@    When will Adobe include Ghostscript and Ghostview on their
distribution CDs to do the jobs of which Distiller and Acrobat are
incapable?

@    When will FrameMaker have the option to generate its OWN PostScript as
it does on UNIX, giving users the chance to bypass the Windows GDI?

@    When will Adobe, Microsoft, and Auld Uncle Tom Cobbleigh and all
implement proper colour management on Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP?  (Ha!)

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31r25, IXgen 5.5.h]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <http://www.myob.com.au/>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>
Tel. +61 3 9894 0945
Mob. +61 412 461 558