Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 11:06 AM
Subject: Avoiding Corrupt files on Checkin

To avoid the possibility of corrupting a file when you
check it in, you should check it in on the same machine
you edit it from, wait 10min before checking it in, or
make sure the file size is the same before you check it in.

There is a file cache race condition type problem in
ClearCase when you are using the same view on multiple
machines.
1) Checkout a file on machine A
2) Edit on machine B
3) Quickly checkin on machine A
The old file size is cached on machine A for a period of
time after you complete the changes the file on machine B.
The result is it checks in a truncated file or a file that has
garbage at the end depending on if the new file is smaller
or larger.  The faster you perform the above operations
together, the higher likelihood for disaster.

Net result: Check in on the same machine you edit on.
            We have the technology to do this.