glossaries

My team lead wants a large glossary for our entire documentation suite. She
then wants to use the applicable parts of that glossary for smaller
glossaries in individual manuals.

My first thought was to use a custom marker for each manual, use the entry
text as the marker text, and automatically generate a glossary for each
manual. We have character tags assigned to certain words in the entries, but
I figured I could use IXGen to easily add that formatting. But I soon
discovered that several glossary entries are too big for the marker's 255
character limit, especially when I added the character tag building blocks.

So then I turned my attention to cross-references. I figured a writer could
create a cross-reference to the master glossary for each entry he needs in
his manual. Because we wouldn't want the cross-references linked, we could
just convert them to text when the glossary is built. (But any changes to
the master glossary would not automatically make it into the little
glossary.) But the character tags weren't coming through because the
cross-reference just uses the paratext building block. So the writer would
still have to manually insert the character formats.

I guess I have a few questions for you all:

* Is there a building block I could add to the cross-reference format that
would bring the character tag info across?

* Is there another method that would work better that I haven't thought of
yet?