PDF woes "unable to extract the embedded font"

We've got a book with ONE problem chapter (and it's been through the same
layout/editing process as all the others, uses the same template, fonts,
etc.). When we save it as postscript and Distill it, we get this error
message:

Unable to extract the embedded font 'NLLKOF+Mono3Frame-Regular'. Some
characters may not display or print correctly.

The first six garbage characters in the font name change each time we run
it through.

We are using Framemaker+SGML on a Mac. What we've tried: 1. saving out as
MIF, reopening in Frame; 2. importing formats from a happy chapter; 3.
searching the archives. Any suggestions, ideas, or leads gratefully
accepted.

thanks,
Rachel