Re: Extracting embedded graphics from a FM file

"Jeremy H. Griffith" wrote:

>                                    the only control over graphics
> is a choice between GIF, JPEG, and PNG; no DPI adjustment setting.

People might find these Adobe documents interesting:

"Import and Export File Formats Supported by FrameMaker 5.5"
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/4486.htm

"How to Export Graphics and Equations from FrameMaker 5.5 and Later"
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/238e2.htm

Excerpt from the first document:

> The following is a list of the import and export formats that
> Adobe FrameMaker 5.5 products support:

> Graphics Export Formats
> Note: For instructions on exporting graphics from FrameMaker, see
> document 318896, "How to Export Graphics and Equations from
> FrameMaker 5.5 and Later."
>
> CGM 1, 2, and 3
> EPS, EPSF, EPSI (TIFF & WMF Preview)
> FrameVector
> GIF (CompuServe)
> JPEG
> PICT
> PNG (Portable Network Graphics)
> TIFF

Which suggests that we have a much wider range of file formats
(including VECTOR formats) to choose from when exporting from
FrameMaker. I have only just begun testing this, using EPS as the
export format. It looks promising as a way of getting framemaker-drawn
graphics into eps files with TIFF preview, without resotring to a long
FM->PS->Distiller->Acrobat->crop page->EPS export loop. (Whether it is
a better method, or generates more usable EPS, is another question
...)

--
Michael Cudmore
Project Development Manager