From: jeremy@omsys.com [mailto:jeremy@omsys.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 9:25 PM
To: Framers@FrameUsers.com; framers@omsys.com
Cc: Adrian Morse
Subject: Re: Extracting embedded graphics from a FM file

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:35:21 +0100, Adrian Morse <adrian_morse@ts.picis.com>
wrote:

>Is there any way of stripping embedded graphics from a FM file?

It may seem like overkill, but OTOH there don't seem to be other
tools around that do this...  Mif2Go automatically exports all
embedded graphics (except those in hidden conditional text),
naming them after their original file with a numeric suffix
(like chap0001.bmp, chap0002.tif, etc.).  You can set which
kinds of graphics (by file type) you want exported in the
mif2*.ini file.  This process does *not* use Frame's graphic
filters; you get the original graphic recreated as imported,
just with a new name (as Frame doesn't retain the old name).

>I tried Saving as HTML, but the graphic files come out tiny
>(I think this is a bug?).

We think so too.  The problem is that someone at Adobe forgot
that Windows uses 96DPI as its standard screen resolution, and
set the graphics to be rendered at 72DPI, the Mac standard...
So they come out at 72/96 = 75% of their correct size.  You
could, as a workaround, expand them all by 33%, and your result
would be at the original size, though quality would still not
be as you would wish it.

As a separate feature, Mif2Go also allows you to output all
the graphics in anchored frames, all named frames on reference
pages, and all frames on master pages, using Frame's graphic
export filters.  The graphics are named by their FileID (which
you can specify) plus their internal Frame ObjectID (for example,
ag203456.bmp).  You can specify the format to use (including
BMP, TIFF, WMF, JPEG, PNG, EPS, PICT, CGM, IGES, or even GIF),
and the DPI resolution you want for bitmaps.  You can specify
a separate DPI and scaling factor for equations (which seriously
benefit from a 25% expansion in size and resolution).  That's
about all the control a plug-in can have over Frame's graphics
filters, and we make it all easily accessible to Mif2Go users.
And if you only want graphics, and not RTF or HTML, you can set
that too.  All this runs out of the box, no training needed.

Mif2Go is $295 for a single-seat license, with steep discounts
in quantity, and includes a year of all upgrades and unlimited
email tech support (renewable at $75 per seat per year).  So if
it saves you one day of work, it pays for itself... really!  ;-)

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/