2 Column Layout Problems

Has anyone else experienced problems using a 2-col layout with full width
tables?
That is, the tables are all the width of both columns.

I've had FM give me the "Internal Error and Must Quit" a number of times is a
row now. I'm about to give up.
The only thing is that the 2-col layout will save me 10% of the size of this
manual. It's at 280 pgs and supposed to be pocket sized! :-(
If it can be done I'd love to hear it.

The other thing is, that before I get the message of doom, the tables seem to be
misbehaving. I've seen the flow of text all backwards, tables disapearing, and
tables refusing to float.

Eric L. Dunn