Re: autonumbering for multifile chapters

NOTE: The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
      and directly to the querant.

(My aplogies in advance to Thomas Michanek, from whose messages I have
adapted the above notice.)

| Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:21:14 -0700
| From: Barbara Daniell <bdaniell@cadence.com>
| To: framers@FrameUsers.com
| Subject: autonumbering for multifile chapters
|
| We want to develop a template to use for the second and subsequent files
| in a multifile chapter. We want the chapter number to remain the same,
| but the figure, table, and equation numbering to increment.

Barbara -

There is NO NEED to create a separate template to handle this situation.
The answer of how to solve this depends on which version of FrameMaker
you are using -- this is important infomration that should be included
in any question posted to the Frame user lists, as it is vital to know
the version in question to be able to give a proper answer.

1. IF you are using FrameMaker ver. 6, you don't have to do anything
special, except in the book file setup the CHAPTER numbering property
to use the same number for all subsequent files of a given chapter.

This requires that you are using the FM version 6 <$chapnum> variable
(which is automatically substitued for the first numbering building
block when you open an entire book file from older versions in FM 6).

You also need to be sure the PARAGRAPH numbering is set to CONTINUE
(not restart) for the additional parts of the long chapter, instead
of the recommended RESTART

There are other implications, such as needing to reference the new
<$chapnum> building block in footers/headers of master pages along
with the traditional "#"  to genrated compound page number, updating
cross-reference formats to use <$chapnum>-<$pagenum>, etc.

For complete details, please refer to a message from Ed Malick of
Adobe Systems, 12 July 2000, regarding numbering in FrameMaker 6)
posted to the lists.

2. IF you're using an earlier release (e.g. 5.5.6), you will need a
separate PARAGRAPH tag that re-uses the chapter number, and does
not alter any sub-number values (i.e., tables, figures, examples,
heading levels,  . . . )

The numbering properties of these two tags would be something like:

Chapter:   <n+>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>

Then, you can tag the number for the true start of the chapter, and
also for the contuation files a appropriate.

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley               |  email: LSmalley@Infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.   |  phone: (302) 239-2942
 Hockessin, DE  USA 19707-0310   |  fax:   (302) 239-1712