Re: Why ps printer?

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

> Why does Frame need access to a Postscript printer when it is creating a ps
> file? I assume there is some essential interaction, even though no paper
> copy is being printed. Is there an information source of the details of this
> interaction when creating a ps file?

Let me give you a short answer, based on what I've come to understand
myself: it's the printer driver that generates the PostScript code!
FM is a Windows application that can be used to print to different
kinds of printers, not only PostScript. Therefore, FM doesn't generate
PostScript itself, it generates drawing instructions in the internal
Windows format, known as GDI. It's then up to the printer driver to
translate this into the currently selected printer's internal language,
be it PostScript, PCL, Epson control commands, or whatever.

But you don't need access to a physical PostScript printer connected to
your computer, only a PostScript printer driver! There are also virtual
printer drivers, such as Acrobat Distiller, that never have a physical
printer associated with them. They are only intended for producing
PostScript files, not for making printouts.

BTW, FM on UNIX generates its own PostScript directly, without having
to deal with printer drivers at all. That solution has its merits.