Re: Why do small graphic files blow FM files up so large?

From: "Dov Isaacs" <isaacs@Adobe.COM>
> At 6/22/00 01:28 PM, Betsy Callahan wrote:
> >When I imported a JPEG sized at 171 KB with "Copy into Document"
> >selected into an FM document that was 48 KB, the document grew to
> >be 2337 KB.
> >
> >Is this normal? Should 1+1=20?
> >I know we could set our graphics up to be imported, but I just
> >don't understand why the size difference occurs and the message I
> >get when I try to save that says it can't save FrameImage items,
> >try closing some applications first.
>
> The insight is that when you import into the document, FrameMaker
> expands the JPEG image. It stores the image internally as it was
> decompressed, not in its compressed form. A most persuasive reason
> to import artwork by reference!

You could also try to first turn off the Preference "Save FrameImage
with imported graphics", restart Frame, open the document, re-import
the JPG file, and resave the document. When you save documents with
imported graphics, you can select to save one or two "images" of each
graphic: the original one (JPG), and one (usually much larger)
Frame-specific cross-platform one (FrameImage).
Usually, you don't need to save the FrameImage, so turn it off. You
shouldn't get the message when you save any longer.

Weird enough, when I try this on Windows, there's no change in the file
size... The file saved on UNIX is considerably smaller, though.
Maybe I did something wrong, but it should be smaller without the
FrameImages. Try it on your FM installation.

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:    http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
        http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers