RE: fonts and variables in generated files

Margaret asked:
>> My TOC entries, i.e the headings from the chapter files, as defined on
the
>> reference page, are all the same font size - which is my preferred
>> appearance for the TOC *but* where the TOC entry is a heading containing
>> product name, the product name is the variable of the appropriate size
for
>> the heading NOT for the TOC entry. Naturally, this looks dreadful.

Thomas replied:
>Font size changes used in a character tag are transferred to a TOC.
>Try to use the "As Is" setting for the font size in the character tag,
>as explained above.

I endorse Thomas' comment.

You could use a character tag in the chapter files with one setting and the
same tag with different settings in the TOC file, if the bugs in WinFrame
5.x As-Is handling defeat you.

I have long bemoaned the fact that in Frame 5.x on Windows anything, the As
Is settings in any designer dialog GO AWAY as soon as you update the
catalog. So if I'm making iterative changes to a character tag that should
have MOSTLY As Is settings, I must:
(a) make sure the tag is created and in the character catalog (because
WinFrame won't add a tag to the catalog if I use the Set Window As Is
first);
(b) Set Window to As Is (because WinFrame won't correctly display any
existing As Is settings of that character tag, it picks up the underlying
settings of the paragraph)
(c) RE-set all the correct settings that I want from MEMORY or a written
record of what that character tag is supposed to contain but ONLY what it's
supposed to contain (angle, typeface, weight, dictionary, underscore,
whatever)
(d) change any of the settings that need changing
(e) update all, whereupon INSTANTLY the WinFrame designer box reverts to all
the settings of wherever the cursor is.

Note: This is a platform-specific bug. MacFrame (and probably UNIXFrame) can
correctly display As Is settings in a designer dialog and will retain and
display those As Is settings as you make other changes to the designer
settings and catalog.

Deborah Snavely, Senior Technical Writer, Aurigin Systems, Inc.