Template Designers Autonumbering Question

OK, I give. Either I'm brain dead (which is a true possibility right now) or
I'm missing something. I'd appreciate a little help from all of you template
gurus out there.

I'm creating a template that uses both chapters and appendices. The chapters
use Arabic numbering and the Appendices use alphabetic numbering. In both
cases, there are 3 heading levels that are numbered (what I generally call
engineering style numbering: 1.1.2 or A.1.2) and both the figures and tables
are numbered.

I had originally created 2 different templates to accommodate the different
numbering schemes. Since there are only a few differences in the template, I
thought it might be easier for the users if I combined the 2 templates into
1.

I was wondering:

Is there a way to use one set of Heading tags, Figure Number tags, and Table
Number tags or must I create "duplicate" sets for the two different
numbering types.

I've played extensively with the series labels, created placeholders for
each of 12 positions, etc. I can't, however, see my way through to a way to
get the numbering to work right using one set of tags for both types of
numbering schemes.

HELP!

The Scenario
Looking forward to serving you

Jerilynne Sander, FrameMaker A.C.E.
317-562-9298
www.simplywritten.com
Check our website for more information on Clustar (tm) Structured Writing
classes being given May 23-24, June 21-22, September 27-28, November 8-9,
and January 24-25, 2001