Re: Template Designers Autonumbering Question

Hi Jerilynne,

It doesn't look like you got an answer to this one (though *I* could be the
brain-dead one these days), so I'll give you the answer.

It's Yes.

Here's how it goes with Frame 5.6. (I'll have the Frame 6 answer shortly --
I have a project that exercises just that capability.) You can do it by
creating two autonumbering counters, one for ch nums and one for apx nums,
instead of the usual one, and all in the same series.

Thus, using the series "A", the full counter set looks something like --

    A:< chapter_counter >< appx_counter >< figure_counter ><
table_counter > etc.

Then fill in the various counters, or leave them blank, based on the
requirements of the tag. For example, a chapter-figure tag would pick up
the current chapter counter contents, increment the figure counter, and
leave the rest blank.

Frame 6 uses a different system for chapter numbering, involving a building
block called $chapnum. Ed Malick has written about its use. I'll be playing
with it shortly. If you are using Frame 6, let me know offline, and I'll
tell you what I come up with. (Offline always reaches me -- I'm on and off
of these lists depending on my workload.)

Hope this helps,

Tom Neuburger