Re: Running H/F variable works on master page, but not user variable

At 05:45 PM 5/25/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I have created a background text frame on a custom master page that I
>apply to the last page of my document. In this frame I insert a variable
>that picks up information from one of the paragraph tags on the first
>page of my document.
>
>If I use one of the predefined Running H/F variables and define it as
><$paratext[versionnum]>, it works perfectly (I get the version number
>typed into the versionnum paragraph on the first page of my document to
>appear as background text on the last page of the document). If I define
>a user variable with exactly the same definition and use it instead of
>the Running H/F variable, I end up seeing the string "<$paratext"
>(without the quotes) on both the master page and the body page (in place
>of the version number).
>
>Anyone know why this is? And is there another workaround besides using
>the Running H/F variables? (It turns out I can use these, but I'm
>interested in any other workarounds for the day when I might not be able
>to make use of them for some reason.)
>
>FrameMaker 5.5.6 on Solaris 2.7.
=================================
You must use only running header/footer variables in running
header footers. You can use other variables in header/footers
only if they have a fixed value. Why dont you create a versionnum
variable that's used on both the first page and in the running
header/footer? That way, you get what you want, and they'll
always be in agreement.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646