Re: Running H/F variable works on master page, but not user variable

Ed was kind enough to point out to me separately that you are limited to
whatever building blocks are available in the pick list when you are
defining a particular variable plus any explicit string you type in.

For user variables all you have available to define them are literal
strings and character formats. For other variables (dates, times, etc.)
the legal building blocks are shown in the pick list below the area
where you create the definition.

If you try to literally type in a building block that is not supported
for the type of variable you are defining (such as <$paratext[tagname]>
for user variables), FrameMaker treats what you typed in as a literal
string (no different from "foobar" or any other random string) rather
than as a building block (to be replaced by the appropriate value from
the specified source).

Ezra