From: "Colin Green" <cgreen@illuminet.com>
To: <framers@FrameUsers.com>; <framers@omsys.com>;
<rquatro@rochester.rr.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: Frame bug/feature questions

Hi Rick,

It's been my experience that the Column Layout function will apply sideheads
to the non-default master pages, once that mater page has been associated
with a body page, such as a Start Page to begin your chapter. But, once the
sidehead is added to this page, the Column Layout function will not remove,
or update, the sidehead on that custom page/Start Page. In order to rid
myself of an unwanted sidehead on a custom page,  I've had to disengage the
custom master page from the body page, delete the master page, and create a
new master page, which I then associate with the body page.

Am I misunderstanding the functionality and making extra work for myself? If
so, let me know how to properly go about this. Or, if this is in fact how
Frame works, then it becomes a debaters point over whether or not a design
flaw is a bug (a conversation from which I will graciously abstain). That
is, I don't mean to quibble; I simply want to understand.

Thanks, Rick.

Sincerely,

Colin

>>> "Rick Quatro" <rquatro@rochester.rr.com> 05/23/00 01:23PM >>>
Hi Joe,

> Questions: 1 about a bug in FrameMaker 5.5.6, and 3 about possible new
> features in 6.0
>
> Bug ??:
> In FrameMaker 5.5.6, if I change the column layout from sidehead format to
> no-sidehead format (by selecting Format>Page Layout>Column Layout and
> unclicking Room for Sideheads), the change affects Left and Right master
> pages but not any other master page. They retain the original sidehead
> layout. Will this be corrected in 6.0?

This is not a bug. The Column Layout dialog only applies to Default master
pages.

> Feature ??:
> Will 6.0 have on-the-fly spell-checking as I type?

No.

> Feature ??:

> In 6.0, can the author see multiple views of the same file?

No.

> Feature ??:
> Will there be dynamic row creation in 6.0 tables? For example, when the
> Frame author reaches the last cell in the last row and then hits tab or
> Enter, will another row be added to the table dynamically? Will there be
> cursor movement between cells of a table in 6.0, not just the
> next/previous moves implemented now with tab and shift-tab?

You can dynamically create rows in FrameMaker by pressing Control-Return.
This works in 5.5.6 as well as 6.0. Cursor movement between cells has not
changed in 6.0

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
716 659-8267