Re: O Adobe, Adobe! What a heartbreak company you are!

Almost the last word ...

These angst outbreaks generally occur when Adobe literature, clearly
targeted at a market that produces print materials, omits FrameMaker.
We have seen other products, such as PageMill and the imposition and
prepress applications, omitted altogether from Adobe promotions or
included with downgraded profile just before they were discontinued or
put into maintenance release (like PageMaker is now).   So when we see
FrameMaker apparently being omitted from literature where it OUGHT to
appear, we equate this occurrence with the imminent shelving of the
product.

So Mark Hilton can easily prevent angst outbreaks occurring in the
future by making sure that any brochure or whatever that includes
InDesign or PageMaker also includes FrameMaker.  That should do it!
:o)  And John Warnock won't have to give keynote addresses to put out
brush fires ...

>  However, I can say that it is very
> common for companies (or regions) to generate promotional material that has
> been defined for a very specific reason to include and exclude certain
> products. There are usually very good reasons for doing so.

I certainly don't want to see bumf for Premiere 'cause I don't do
movies.  But the video geeks will want to see Photoshop because they get
summer work-experience students to laboriously retouch commercials
frame-by-frame to remove skin blemishes, stray hairs, and pinholes and
other artefacts.

I do want to see bumf for PageMaker, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator,
and anything else that can be used with print.

> I haven't seen the material that was sent to Hedley. However, we are looking
> in it.  If it was a mistake, we'll fix it.  If FrameMaker was left out for a
> reason, we'll find out why.  If the reason isn't acceptable, we'll fix it.
> This what we've done in the past when we learned that FrameMaker was left
> out of something and we'll continue to do this.

The Bid Red Book is an A5 ring binder that contains three tab dividers,
Current Products, Non-Current Products, and Contacts.  It contains cards
each of which summarizes the capabilities of a particular product, the
market it is intended to serve, and typical customer uses of the
product.

The cover letter and the tab dividers imply that it is an authoritative
summary of the entire Adobe product line. FrameMaker was not the only
product omitted: Adobe Extreme and Adobe Dimensions didn't make the cut
either. Poor old PageMill didn't even make it to the Non-Current Product
section.

However, the Web Collection (GoLive! based), the Design Collection
(InDesign), and the Publishing Collection (PageMaker), and PageMaker
Plus by itself (a.k.a. PageMaker 6.5.x), a product now in maintenance
release, WERE included.  So when are we going to see the Book Publishing
Collection (FrameMaker) and the individual FM products?

I imagine that eventually all recipients of the Big Red Book will
receive update inserts as new products are released, and new versions of
current products are released.

--
Regards,
Hedley Finger   Technical Writer

[FrameMaker 5.5.6, Acrobat 3.02, Windows 98, HP OmniBook 2100]

SUBSCRIBE TO THE ALTERNATIVE FRAMERS LIST
Message must consist of only this text (no signature, etc.):
     subscribe framers <your@preferred.mail.address>
     help
     end
Send above message to:
<mailto:majordomo@omsys.com?Subject=subscribe%20framers>

Ericsson Australia Pty Ltd
Tel. +61 3 9301 6214   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9301 6199
Email. hedley.finger@ericsson.com.au

Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9809 1326
Email. hfinger@handholding.com.au