Re: O Adobe, Adobe! What a heartbreak company you are!

At 09:17 AM 5/23/00 +1000, Hedley Finger wrote:

>Fellow Framers:
>
>Yesterday I received a neat little marketing reference from Adobe
>Systems Pty Ltd, Australia, called the Big Red Folder.  It's an
>approximately A5-sized ring binder containing one card for (almost) each
>of Adobe's publishing, printing, and graphics arts products.
>
>Guess which major product line optimized for producing and publishing
>long multi-chapter books is not included?
>
>Why do they continually do this?  I taxed an Adobe person about the
>persistent failure to include FrameMaker in their product-line
>promotions and received the answer that FrameMaker addresses a
>completely different market (from what other markets?).  But this weenie
>couldn't tell me what this other market was or really what markets were
>addressed by the other products.  He clearly was echoing some kind of
>internal market-segmentation bumf without really understanding who
>constituted the various markets.
>
>There is some kind of corporate culture that assumes that FrameMaker is
>only used by propeller-cap technical-writing nerds like you and me, and
>that we live in a PhotoShop- and Illustrator- free ghetto.
No, Hedley, we are not the propeller-heads, they're all at Adobe.
I don't believe there's any "strategy" at all behind the omission, because
the marketing idiots at Adobe aren't bright enough to conceptualize
and implement a strategy to protect InDesign (or anything else for that
matter,  The all-pervasive manner in which Adobe marketing disses
FrameMaker has some other basis, I think. First, the Adobe marketing
folk have a kinship with illustrators,  web designers, and PageMaker/Quark
users, because they all have the same kind of propeller-headedness.
Propeller-heads only know how to market to other propeller-heads, and
they are the prevalent type inhabiting the asylum also known as Adobe.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646